GIVE Project: Project Officer
The Managers in Dublin City North and South Volunteer Centres
Overall purpose of the job:
Coordinate the implementation of GIVE Project in Dublin
About GIVE Project:
The GIVE (Grassroots Integration through Volunteering Experiences) project seeks to establish and strengthen mechanisms for engaging migrants in community volunteering in project participating countries (Ireland, UK, Austria, Netherlands) through a range of activities, including awareness raising, information provision, training and sensitization both amongst potential migrant participants, volunteer hosting organisations, and Migrant Led Organisations/NGOs. The project aims to support the integration of migrants in their new community through an increased participation into local volunteer schemes and opportunities. The innovative approach would be to support the creation of links and stimulate the cross fertilizations between migrants, migrant led organisations and local community organisations.
The project is an initiative of the International Organization for Migration (IOM) and is funded by the European Union.
Volunteer Ireland is the volunteer agency expert partner of the GIVE project in Ireland.
- Serve as the focal point for the coordination of all administrative and operational aspects of the GIVE project, in coordination with the Volunteer Centre Managers (VCMs) and work closely with GIVE Project Manager
- Provide individual consultations to 75+ migrants interested in community volunteering over a period of 9 months
- Develop matches between migrant interests and community volunteering opportunities in their own area. Volunteering opportunities will focus on community initiatives as a priority, such as youth groups, elderly, public community spaces, community sports initiatives etc.
- Create networks and work closely with Volunteer Involving Organisations in order to secure placements
- Help deliver 5 half day volunteering management/ diversity management trainings to Volunteer Involving Organisations to help them increase knowledge and awareness around the issue of migrants volunteering
- Assist with the distribution and dissemination of the GIVE volunteering toolkit
- Promote the awareness of the project, dissemination of information on the promotional campaign, etc
- Contribute to the preparation for the final project conference
- Feedback regularly on the progression of the project and at the end of the process
- Engage with the project’s on-going external monitors
- Make sure that appropriate data is compiled, summarised and entered on project delivery; Responsible for day to day record keeping
- Participate in seminars and other meetings related to GIVE project activities and objectives
- Any other duties commensurate with the nature of the post
Place of work
Shared offices between Dublin City North Volunteer Centre Coleraine House,
Coleraine Street, Dublin 7 and Dublin City South Volunteer Centre Thomas
Street, Dublin 8. This post will include outreach work.
Hours of work
Part -time (28 hours pw); there may be some evening and weekend work, a time
in lieu system is in operation.
€31,000 (pro-rata based on 35 hrs a week)
9 months contract
This position is subject to a standard probationary period of 2 months and there will be regular appraisals. Any changes to the job description will only be made with the full agreement of the member of staff concerned.
Ability to work with a very diverse of individuals and organisations
Ability to advise, inform, motivate and support individuals and organisations
Excellent communication and networking skills
Excellent organisational and time management skills
Computer literacy and general administrative skills
Reporting and evaluation skills
Proficiency in database management, including Salesforce
Awareness and knowledge of different migrant groups existing in Dublin, particularly those whose country of origin is outside the EU
Demonstrated operational experience and understanding of Migration and Integration policies and programs in Europe are highly desirable
Understanding of equal opportunities and social inclusion issues
Knowledge of how the voluntary/community sector works, including an understanding of the realities of paid and unpaid work in this sector
Third level qualification in a relevant field and/or 2 years experience in the Community and Voluntary Sector
Minimum of 2 years experience in working with migrant groups
Experience of working with teams and on own initiative
Experience of community development
Currently/previously a volunteer her/himself
Personal qualities (Essential)
Interest in the development of volunteering and understanding of the wide range of forms it can take
Belief in Social Inclusion and willingness to work with migrant groups
Self-starter, yet team player, including willingness to work alongside volunteers
Willingness to travel and work outside normal office hours
• A car owner with a clean, full driving licence and a willingness to travel and attend meetings outside normal working hours when required.
How to apply:
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications, (CV and cover letter) via email to: email@example.com by 17th May 2013 at 5pm at the latest, referring to this advertisement.